Registration for Ms Veteran America 2014 is now open! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a registration form.
- The 2014 West Coast Regionals are Saturday May 31st; Las Vegas, NV (location TBD).
The 2014 East Coast Regionals are Saturday June 7th; Women’s Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA.
- Registration for Ms Veteran America 2014 is $100.
- The Ms Veteran America 2014 competition is scheduled for October 12, 2014.
Competition Eligibility & Rules
- You must be a woman who is either a Veteran or still serving in the U.S. Military.
- If a Veteran; proof of honorable discharge via DD 214 and a state issued photo I.D. Requires completion of initial service obligation unless medically discharged.
- If still serving actively (including Guard and Reserve), they must have proof of 180 days of service beyond initial training requirements, a signed letter from their unit Commander to show they are serving in good standing (include contact information) and military ID (non-expired).
- Must be of good health and moral character.
- Must be actively involved in your community i.e. volunteering and/or charitable initiatives.
- Must agree, that if selected they will participate in the competition, and will abide the code of conduct.
- There is no age, era, or height/weight requirement.
JUDGING & CRITERIA
How is the Ms Veteran America competition scored?
Finalist will be scored in four areas of competition; Interview, Talent, Military History and Advocacy. Scoring criteria includes grace, poise, confidence and personality.
How do you define Talent?
BE CREATIVE! Are you a writer? Are you an artist? Are you an actress? Are you funny? Are you a dancer? Do you play an instrument? Can you juggle? Are you a gymnast? Are you a singer? What hidden talents do you have…?
- When will the competition take place? October 12, 2014; however, finalist are required to report on October 11, 2014 for prelims.
- How do I compete? Show up on for an audition or via mail-in registration.
- How do I know if I was chosen as a finalist? You will be notified 90 days prior to the event, via email and social media.
- If my family or friends want to attend the competition, where do they stay? We will provide a list of area hotels and any special rates that will be given to friends and family members.
- How do my family and friends get tickets to attend the competition? Ticket information is listed on the event website.
- What should my family and friends wear to the competition? Formal attire or military dress.
- Do I need to pay for my travel, meals or hotel during competition weekend? Once you are chosen as a Finalist, your meals and hotel are provided at no cost to you. We are unable to cover cost for any accompanying family members. Travel to and from the competition will be at the expense of the contestant (unless we are able to have it sponsored; contestants will be notified about travel, once they are selected as finalist).
- What if I can’t afford a dress, additional outfits, or travel to the event? It is most important to find outfits that you will feel confident in and that best suit you and your personality. The judges are not scoring your attire; it’s all about the women wearing it. Additionally, all finalists are encouraged to seek sponsorship (see below).
Will there be access to a salon to get my hair done for the event?
Make-up and hair will be professionally styled the day of the competition.
Collecting sponsorship is very important. It takes time and commitment on your part. You should start with a list of potential sponsors such as friends and family members, local businesses, your employer etc. Plan your strategy, and make a plan to succeed! When approaching potential sponsors, explain your goals, what this competition means to you as a woman who has served her country, why they should sponsor you, and why you are competing in the Ms Veteran America competition. This will be extremely beneficial in developing your communication skills. This is an essential characteristic to have if you’re going to be the first Ms Veteran America. Sponsors will be recognized online in contestants bio and during the competition (Only request sponsorship if you truly need it).
Ms Veteran America will be required to provide at least 100 hours of community, during her 12 months as title holder.
Ms Veteran America will be required to attend speaking engagements and special events as the official spokeswoman of the Ms Veteran America competition. Speaking engagements help to promote and gain support for subsequent competitions. You will also serve as an active advocate for Final Salute Inc. and their efforts to assist homeless female Veterans and their children. Competition Officials will arrange all speaking engagements and any outside request must be routed to competition officials for approval.
-Official Ms Veteran America Crown
-Official Ms Veteran America Sash
-$15,000 towards the purchase of a vehicle or scholarship towards education (theirs or their children or grand children) or student loan repayment (must be in good standing) or full scholarship to Paul Mitchell Beauty and Cosmetology School or starting their own business or down payment towards a home purchase or home repairs
-Featured on Ms Veteran America competition nationwide advertising campaign
-Round trip airfare and accommodations for 2 to the 2015 Ms. Veteran America competition (if outside of DC Metro Area)
- Gown to the 2015 Ms Veteran America competition and much much more!
- 1st Runner Up
- 2nd Runner Up
- Show Stopper (Best Talent)
- You Wear it Well (Best Gown)
ADDITIONAL AWARD CATEGORIES
- Resilience Over-come a significant personal challenge.
- Social Butterfly Started her own media campaign for the pageant and got the most FB likes and Twitter Followers combined.
- Selfless Service Gives significant volunteer time/support to an organization she is passionate about.
- Hot Momma of the Year Presented by Hot Momma Project Founder, Kathy Korman Frey – Honors the woman who serves and sacrifices for not only her country, but her family as well.
- She Means Business Started your own successful business and embraced your entreprenuerial spirit.
- Above and Beyond Epitomizes what it means to “Never Leave a Fallen Comrade”, through significant military achievement; this award is by recommendation only by current or previous “in-service” supervisor.
- Mr. Mom Recognizing the husbands who have learned how to braid hair, are proud of their Soccer Dad titles, attend dance practices, finish the dishes, kiss boo boos, make dinner, hold down the fort and be everything his Warrior Wife needs him to be as she salutes the flag. You do not have to have children to be eligible for Mr. Mom.**
- Iron Princess Recognizes the woman who has made health and finess a way of life; requires a video submission.
- Donation Whisperer Starts her own fundraising campaign in support of homeless female Veterans. Proceeds benefit Final Salute Inc. When competing for the title of “Donation Whisperer”, you must first visit Crowdrise to create a profile via www.crowdrise.com :
- Select “I’m A Fundraiser”
- Select “Just me doing some good”
- Enter MVA2014*** then your first name and last initial i.e. “MVA2014JILLH”, (will create URL on next line)
- Enter why you are raising money
- Set your goal. Final Salute’s Inc EIN is 80-0660380. Your personal fundraising campaign will fund housing for homeless women Veterans and their children. After you have built your page, be sure to include a photo of yourself and then invite your friends to donate! Good Luck!
** This category is open to husbands of contestants, current military women and women Veterans. $25 entry fee for non-contestants (no additional fee for contestants). Requires a short video (of hubby in action) and a picture of your family. Submission must be received by August 30, 2014.